Sunday, October 19, 2014

Just over this ridge!


We took a trip to CO this weekend. It's one of our favorite places to vacation with the added bonus of spending time with Andy's entire family. There is always a lot of time spent outdoors in the mountain air and equally good food every meal. It's that vacation we can do with our eyes closed. 

Since I'm smack dab in the middle of training I mentioned to Andy's brothers, who are also runners, that I needed to get in a scenic long run while we were there. Oh they had the best little loop they called it. One with a gradual incline. You don't even know your increasing your elevation...is what they told me. Perfect!!  

As we were driving to the trailhead, that word should have been my first clue. Trailhead. I've always wanted to do some trail running. We don't have that really anywhere near where we call home. So I was still excited. As we started, when they told me they like to run a little and walk a little, that should have been my second clue. They're seasoned runners with fast PRs.  They have no reason to walk. 

The next 3 hours, I'm going to say that again, so it can sink in. The NEXT 3 HOURS encompassed some of the most spectacular views I have ever seen while running/walking/gasping,  some of the most rigorous terrain I have ever run/walked/gasped on, and the most tired my body has ever been. They would look back at Andy and I and say "just over this ridge and we are home free". I'm pretty sure they were laughing to each other as they waited for us to catch up about every 15-20 minutes. Needless to say I got my run in, even on vacation. And I have the entire 11 hour drive on they way home to plot just how I'll be getting them back. 

I'll share some pics that of course do no justice to the spectacular scenery that I could see when I was not trying not to trip on the rocky terrain, or said I needed to stop for a picture but really just wanted more air. 

This is the start. Not daunting at all! I was feeling super confident. 



Overlooking Colorado Springs 





2 comments:

  1. Girl...running at altitude is NO joke. Good for you! Was it section 16? I'm curious where you were!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were west of Bear Creek Park - I think I saw some signs that said Palmer Red Rock trail??

    ReplyDelete