Thursday, November 20, 2014

Its the little things - healthy changes for your family

Lets start this off with a disclaimer:  I am not an expert in any way in this area.  However, I am a mom who is in charge of the meals at my abode and have done quite a bit of research on how we can make some healthy changes at our house.  You don't have to go all vegan to be healthy.  You can make some small changes that will reap benefits.

So now that is out of the way, I want to share with you a few things that my family has done to ramp up the healthy.  Its important, and I really do think it will pay off in the future.  Moms (and dads) have a lot of responsibility.  Everyone in our little homes look to us for meals, advice, and clean clothes. I can't help you with the clean clothes part.  The laundry is just never done.  Learn to accept the pile on the couch and have your kids fold it and put it away before they can eat.  Thats the only thing I can say about that.   But with everyone looking to us for guidance, especially those little ones, its important to at least make some changes in our homes.  We can't control everything they eat, but at least what we have available we can control.

1.  Cut out the soda.  This is so easy. And so important. Everyone knows how sodas are loaded with sugars.  I want to encourage you to watch your children's behavior in the 2 hours that follow giving them soda.  I've done this with my kids.  It completely changes their behavior - for the worse.    I cringe when I see kids drinking diet soda.  There is so many harmful things for growing bodies in those.  And bonus.  When you go out to eat, you will save $2 per person.  I don't know about you but I can use an extra $10 a week for sure.

2.  Try to eliminate processed foods  This is a hard one.  Especially if you are a busy family.  I used to be that mom with a corporate job that had me working 45+ hours a week.  And to come home and actually cook a meal was very taxing.  But with a little planning, it can happen. Sometimes faster than you can get through the drive through.  Some things that don't' take much time and make a big taste difference are biscuits, soups, enchiladas, and pancakes.  All those things have easy quick options you can pick up at the grocery store, but the preservatives in them are numerous.  A good rule of thumb is you want your ingredients to be as close to their natural state as they can be.  With the world of pinterest there is no good excuse to not be able to find a good recipe.

3.  Buy grass fed beef  I won't lie here.  This part isn't cheap.  But with the elimination of soda from your budget you'll have the extra money to spend here.  I don't know if you've ever seen how cows and chickens can be treated but after you did, you wouldn't want to be eating them. They are mistreated and confined and injected with countless hormones. Something I've been meaning to do and haven't yet is go in with some other families and buy a cow.  Most local farms have cows you can purchase and have butchered.  And you can see the field they were raised in.

4.  Add more fruits and vegetables  This is really an easy one.  Sometimes I just cut up peppers, broccoli, and cauliflower and put it on the kitchen table.  I don't tell anyone.  I just set it there.  My kids find their way there, and if its sitting there, and I'm not telling them to eat it, they eat it.  Imagine that.

These are just 4 things.  I'll do a part 2 at another date.  If it sounds too hard, just pick one thing to start! Or dive right in and do all 4.  Your bodies will thank you!!

I tell my kids all the time.  You only get one body.  Its so important to take care of it.

7 comments:

  1. Such great tips! It'll for sure make a difference and isn't too hard to do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think from first hand experience the benefits of no longer drinking soda. It's just so bad for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great suggestions! We do everything on your list. My mom and sister in law both drink diet soda like it's water and I cringe every time I see them chugging one. I just think of all the bad chemicals in there. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soda is so bad. And yet so good. I've actually switched my coke drinking over for coffee now, but I have to drink my full allotment of water the previous day to have 'earned' it. Just helps me remember to hydrate. Now if only I didn't put so much cream in my coffee..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coffee with half and half and raw sugar is my weakness Courtney! Its a daily indulgence I just can't quit!

      Delete
  5. This is a great reminder of many things I need to work on on to be healthier.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tips! I know this is so hard sometimes, but well worth it!

    ReplyDelete