Sunday, January 4, 2015

JFS In the Kitchen: Chinese Chicken salad


If I see one more thing where the major ingredient is sugar, I just might pick it up and throw it into the fire.  I'm so done with sugar.  Today, anyway.  I am not a salad girl.  I just don't understand consuming large quantities of lettuce in one sitting.  If it has nuts and berries, I'll take a stab at it.  But this is one salad that my girls request and I'm happy to oblige. And after a holiday season that had a 2 week break from running and a whole lot of refined sugar, I was craving a salad.  This recipe dates back to our DINK days.  It makes a seriously large amount.  My family of 5 divides it in half.  Of course not all 5 people eat it.  Because that would just be crazy for all 5 people to agree on dinner. My 12 year old had to make his own sandwich.  If you don't like what I cook, then your the cook.  Make this when you have a bunch of company, or need to take something to the Sunday School potluck, or when you are needing large quantities of leafy greens.



Chinese Chicken Salad

1 large head of cabbage (cheat: 2 bags of shredded cabbage)
8-10 green onions chopped
1 pkg sliced almonds
1 pkg sunflower seeds
3-4 T sesame seeds 
4 packages of Chicken flavored Ramen soup
3 chicken breasts (marinated in Yoshida's Gourmet Sauce, found at Sams Club and baked at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.  Save marinade)

Dressing:
1 C light canola oil
1-1 1/2 C apple cider vinegar
1/2 c sugar
4 flavor packets from noodle soups
rest of marinade

Mix well and refrigerate

Slice cabbage, chop green onions, shred chicken  and place in a large bowl.  Add nuts and crush 4 pkgs of ramen noodle squares and add to top.  Just before serving pour dressing and stir.

Again, this makes a whole lot of salad so we divide it and put half in the refrigerator, undressed and save for the next day. 


1 comment:

  1. this sounds so good!! i am so not a lettuce girl either!! haha! :)

    ReplyDelete