Monday, June 15, 2015

Rookie Middle School Mom - Chapter 2

Middle school boys are frustrating creatures.  We mothers birth them, love them, nurture them, and what do we get in return?  Conversations like this.

So I'm dropping off Carson this morning at a science camp.  He didn't know anyone and I had butterflies for him all the way there.  I was so proud that he was stepping out of the comfort zone of his best buddies and doing something simply because he wanted to.  So as we stand in line to check in , I say "you're so cute".  My mom, who is with me, says "You should wait to say those things to him at home, and not here in a new situation".  Then she turns to him and says "You're really going to have fun.  You're going to make all kinds of new friends."  I looked at her and said, "Really?  Was that much better?".  In the meantime Carson had walked away from us and up to someone who looked in charge and had checked in.  Um...bye...

I randomly wonder all morning what he's doing.  Are kids being nice to him?  Is he having fun? Will he even want to go back tomorrow? Grandma had pick up duty and I couldn't wait to talk to him so when his sister called me I told her I needed to speak with her brother.  As she hands him the phone I hear him saying "Why?"  

Me: So how was it this morning????!!
Him: good
Me: Did you know anyone?
Him: yes
Me: From your school?  
Him: yes
Me: So you had fun?
Him: yes
Me: So you still want to go back tomorrow?
Him: yes.
Me: (exasperated)  Is that all your going to give me??????
Him: yes.
Me: sigh.  ok.
Him: click.

He totally hung up.  Like the conversation was over.  
Oh.  My.  Goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment