Monday, February 15, 2016

Marathon Training Week #7 - When Amy got her groove back.

It's true.  I got my groove back.  And I owe it to Sam Hunt singing about breaking up in a small town, peppermint essential oil in my water bottle, and people who tell me I can't quit.

I'm almost at the halfway point of this maddening, rewarding journey.  For those people who told me the awful runs are followed by good ones - they weren't lying.  I won't say I love the long runs because I just don't.  But the weekly runs are where I'm feeling good.

Today I had to do 8 - our longest weekly run yet.  And after only a day of recovering from the longest I've ever run in my life, I did not want to lace up those shoes.  But when you have these 2 other people you run with, you somehow make it to the road at 5:30am.  I did have the thought that I could just turn around and go home, back to my cozy bed, as I was on my way.  But the fact remained that my running partners were going to be there and I didn't want to be the wimpy one.  I told them before they could even get out of their cars that I didn't want to be there.  And I whined to myself the first 3 miles.  I even contemplated just flat turning around and running back to my car.  Even the deer who ran across the trail before us couldn't cheer me up. But once we hit the road next to the lake I settled in.  And I actually started enjoying my run.  If you have never been outside when the sun is not quite up and it's just you and the empty road, and the lake, and a few other feet hitting the pavement next to you - you need to.  It's a somewhat religious experience.

And that is why I do this.  For those rare moments.  Worth it.  Totally worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment