Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Please don't open a can

I learned something early in my exploratory cooking career.  And I have to share it with you.  Are you ready?

Homemade is always better.  And it's not as hard or laborious as you think.

I grew up on canned biscuits.  (No offense mom).  And they were good.  And full of all kinds of who knows what.  But the day I decided to make biscuits from scratch I've never opened another can.  Of biscuits, that is.

It is my duty to share this recipe with you.  So you too, can know the deliciousness of homemade biscuits.  Then you can make biscuits and gravy, biscuits with honey, egg, bacon, and cheese biscuits, and cinnamon biscuits.  Just try it.  And then come back and tell me how your family sang your praises.

Biscuits




Mix: 
2 1/4 cups white flour
1 T baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Fluff together with a pastry blender.  

(This is a pastry blender)




Then cut in with your pastry blender: 
1/2 C shortening
until it looks the size of peas

Add
1 C milk

Gently mix it together with a wooden spoon until it holds together.  Next, you can get all fancy and roll it out on a floured surface.  Or you can be like me and flour your hands and just grab hunks and shape them into biscuits.

Put on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 450 for around 10 minutes.

These are Carson's favorite and he requests them nearly every week.  His style is drizzled with honey.






SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment